The Veilguard, Rook, and Where the Eluvian Took Me
I found Dragon Age: Inquisition by accident. Or perhaps, as all good stories insist, there are accidents that reveal themselves as beginnings only in hindsight.
It sat on a clearance rack in EB Games, among pre-owned titles waiting for someone to give them a second life. I knew almost nothing about Dragon Age. Fantasy was hardly unfamiliar to me, but Thedas was simply another world whose name I had yet to learn.
As the cashier scanned the case, he smiled. "I hope you’re ready.”
I smiled back, assuming he meant that the game would be difficult. Perhaps there would be impossible bosses, labyrinthine quests, or the sort of unforgiving combat that demands patience from the player.
He was right. Just not in the way either of us imagined.
He had not sold me a game. He had unknowingly handed me a decade-long conversation with myself.
Before I continue, I must introduce the Eluvian. In Thedas, Eluvians are ancient elven mirrors that do more than reflect. They open pathways through the Crossroads, carrying those who pass through them from one place to another. Across the series, they are objects of mystery, memory, danger, and passage.
Playing the four main Dragon Age games became a kind of Eluvian for me. They carried me across Thedas: through Ferelden, Kirkwall, Orlais, Tevinter, and beyond. But they also carried me somewhere less visible. Through each protagonist, the mirror opened onto a different part of myself.
In Origins, The Warden showed me how I respond when the world is collapsing. Faced with impossible odds, uncertain allies, and the certainty of sacrifice, I learned something about my instincts under pressure. Not that I never falter, but that I continue to move.
In DA2, Hawke showed me what I could endure without surrendering my principles. The world around Hawke refuses fairness. Family is lost. Politics corrodes friendship. Victory is often indistinguishable from survival. Yet Hawke persists, not because persistence is rewarded, but because abandoning oneself would cost even more.
In Inquisition, the Inquisitor showed me who I might become. Leadership. Responsibility. The terrifying possibility that ordinary people sometimes become symbols for reasons entirely outside their control. The Inquisitor asked whether I could carry hope for others even when I doubted myself.
Each protagonist revealed a possibility.
Then came Rook.
I expected another hero. Instead, the Eluvian finally became a mirror. Rook did not ask me who I wanted to become. He quietly revealed who I already was.
Not because he possessed extraordinary power. Not because he fulfilled an ancient prophecy. Not because the world declared him chosen. Quite the opposite.
He led without believing himself exceptional. He carried shame without allowing it to define him. He heard disappointment without surrendering to it. He refused comforting lies when the truth demanded more courage. He faced gods who demanded submission and answered them not with destiny, but with resolve. He survived a prison built from regret.
Somewhere between dialogue choices, impossible decisions, and moments of unexpected silence, I realised something profoundly unsettling. I was no longer shaping Rook. Rook was revealing me.
That recognition was made possible, in no small part, by the performance of the voice actor, Jeff Berg (Rook is voiced by four different actors - Jeff provided the male North American voice). His Rook did not sound like a distant hero carved from prophecy. He sounded immediate, warm, fallible, and strangely familiar. There was something deeply brotherly in the way Berg carried him: earnest without solemnity, courageous without self-mythologising, wounded without becoming consumed by the wound.
Most importantly, Jeff did not tell me who I was. His performance did not manufacture the conclusion for me. His voice became the instrument through which I could finally hear my own choices returned to me as the convictions of a living person.
That is the strange power of fiction. We often think we play role-playing games to become someone else. Yet sometimes the opposite occurs. The fictional character ceases to be a mask behind which we hide and instead becomes a mirror in which we recognise ourselves with uncomfortable clarity.
That recognition is not transformation. It is disclosure.
Again, the Warden showed me how I react. Hawke showed me what I can do. The Inquisitor showed me who I might become.
But Rook showed me who I truly am.
The one who pushed through shame.
The one who refused the easy lie.
The one who was made to hear disappointment and still carried on.
The one who faced a god who demanded submission.
The one who survived a prison of regret.
The one who led without seeing himself as the Chosen One.
And in doing so, Rook helped me understand something I had overlooked for years.
My own life has not been free of Blights. Some announced themselves with terrifying clarity. Others arrived quietly, disguising themselves as shame, regret, grief, disappointment, or the persistent temptation to believe easier lies about myself. None of them won.
Whatever Blights remain ahead, they will not meet a stranger. Not because I am chosen. Not because I am extraordinary.
But because, like Rook, I have learned that courage is rarely the absence of fear. More often, it is the stubborn refusal to stop walking after fear has already spoken.
Rook made me realise that I have triumphed, and will continue to triumph, over my own Blights.
Perhaps that is why this story found me. Or perhaps I simply found myself in Thedas.
Dragon Age: Origins was an introduction.
Dragon Age II was a continuation.
Dragon Age: Inquisition was an aspiration.
But Dragon Age: the Veilguard? It was a homecoming.

Comments
Post a Comment